Hidden Pages in Irish Sports History
Please join us for a seminar presenting new developments in Irish sports history and exploring the challenges and rewards of preserving and accessing sports-related archives.
Organised by the Irish Society for Archives in association with the GAA Museum and Dublin City Archives.
Welcome by Dr. Ray Refausse, Chair of the Irish Society for Archives
Seminar Chair: Professor Michael Cronin, Academic Director, Boston College, Dublin & GAA Oral History Project Lead. Each paper to be aprox. 15 minutes
- Development of the Dublin City Sports Archive. Ellen Murphy, Senior Archivist, Dublin City Library and Archives
- Taking Muscles Seriously: Ireland’s Physical Culture Movement 1898 – 1939. Conor Heffernan, PHD Candidate, University College Dublin
- The archives of sporting organisations in the context of UCD Archives’ private paper collections. Kate Manning, Principal Archivist, UCD Archives
- The Hurlers – Writing the History of the Making of a Modern Game. Dr. Paul Rouse, Lecturer, University College Dublin
- The Accidental Archivist: An overview of the Badminton Museum of Ireland Project. Dick O’Rafferty, Honorary Archivist, Badminton Ireland
- The GAA Library and Archive: An Introduction. Mark Reynolds, GAA Museum Archivist
Followed by open discussion on Sports Archives in Ireland.
Tea, coffee and sandwiches served.
Doors open at 6pm: Seminar attendees welcome to view ‘Ireland’s Olympians’ exhibition at GAA Museum